No sound when playing a CD in FreeBSD 4.9

Rahul Fernandez rnf006 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 21 06:31:38 PST 2003

> Look at chapter 16 in the Handbook. There are some things that you have to do,
> such as add "device pcm" or others to your kernel before you can have sound.
>
> I have a black Lite-on in my test server and it worked just fine after I
> configured xmcd to use /dev/acd0c.
>
> Kent

Hi, Thanks for the responses. My understanding from the handbook was that I did
not need to do this as I simply loaded a module (by editing the 'loader.conf'
file). Am I mistaken? I am able to hear sound when watching films using mplayer.
Does that not mean that the audio cable is connected to the sound card (in
response to somebody's suggestion)? I will check later that this is the case.
Thanks, Rahul