DVD Burning

Chris Meyers chris at hddesign.com
Thu Nov 20 12:18:43 PST 2003

On Thu, 2003-11-20 at 13:40, Charles Swiger wrote:
> Hi, Chris--
>
> On Nov 20, 2003, at 12:15 PM, Chris Meyers wrote:
> > I am at a loss. Does anybody have any suggestions about what I need to
> > do to make this work? Is there some other way to burn dvds? Do I need
> > do some kernel recompilation? I have installed dvd+rw-tools but haven't
> > found any good docs, and there doesn't seem to be a man page.
>
> No, you shouldn't need to patch or recompile a 5.x kernel since it
> should already have ATAPICAM.  With regard to dvd+rw-tools, see "man
> growisofs" and /usr/local/share/doc/dvd+rw-tools/index.html, which you
> could invoke as something like:
>
> 	growisofs -Z /dev/acd0c=file.iso
>
> ...although the output of dvd+rw-mediainfo on the disk you just
> attempted to burn might also be interesting to see.

Thanks for the info Charles, but no dice. I'm thinking that there may be
some atapicam issues after all because when I try the command you
recommended I get the following:

# growisofs -Z /dev/acd0c=bkuptest.iso
:-( unable to CAMGETPASSTHRU for /dev/acd0c: Inappropriate ioctl for
device

Here's the output from a dvd+rw-mediainfo /dev/acd0c:
/dev/acd0: unable to open: Inappropriate ioctl for device

I did check out the docs at /usr/local/share/doc/dvd+rw-tools/index.html
and they pretty much re-enforce what you said.

Any other ideas??

Thanks,
Chris