DVD Burning

Chris Meyers chris at hddesign.com
Thu Nov 20 10:15:20 PST 2003

So I'm trying to burn daily data backups to a dvd+rw in FreeBSD 5.1 and
I'm having no end of problems. The dvd drive is a Memorex IDE internal
which is brand new. I've googled until my fingers were cramped and
everyone seems to say "Here's a bunch of extra stuff you have to do for
4.x <insert kernel patching and configuring here>. For 5.x you should
just be able to do:
# burncd -f /dev/acd0c -F format dvd+rw
# burncd -f /dev/acd0c -s max dvdrw file.iso
"

Well I can get that format command to work just fine. When I try it, I
get the following:

# burncd -f /dev/acd0c -F format dvd+rw
formatting with blocks=2295104 type=0x26 param=0
formatting DVD - 100 % done

So I know that I can talk to the writer and give it commands. I try the
next command and all I get is "No soup for you!" like so:

# burncd -f /dev/acd0c -s max dvdrw bkuptest.iso
next writeable LBA 0
writing from file bkuptest.iso size 942976 KB
written this track 1568 KB (0%) total 1568 KB
only wrote -1 of 32768 bytes: Device busy

Just so you know, I have tried the above command with -s set to 1, 4 and
without it altogether.

I am at a loss. Does anybody have any suggestions about what I need to
do to make this work? Is there some other way to burn dvds? Do I need to
do some kernel recompilation? I have installed dvd+rw-tools but haven't
found any good docs, and there doesn't seem to be a man page.

I will gladly RTFM if someone would be willing to point me in the
direction of the FM which can help me. Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris