5.1-Release<<WNIC problem

Socketd db at traceroute.dk
Thu Nov 20 06:10:19 PST 2003

Hi all

System:	FreeBSD 5.1 Release
Arch:	386 laptop (Compaq Presario 1200)
WNIC:	ZyAir B-100 (from Zyxel)

Once my friend had a ZyAir B-100 and I tested it on my FreeBSD laptop. I
was able to get a sniffer going and see some traffic. Now I have a ZyAir
B-100 myself and I'm trying to get it to work.

When I plug it in I get:
wi0: <PCMCIA 11M WLAN Card v3.0> at port 0x100-0x13f irq 9 function 0
config 1 on pccard0
wi0: 802.11 address: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
wi0: using RF:PRISM3(PCMCIA)
wi0: Intersil Firmware: Primary (1.1.0), Station (1.4.2)
wi0: supported rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps

Running ifconfig I get:
wi0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
	media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (none)
	ssid ""
	stationname "FreeBSD WaveLAN/IEEE node"
	channel -1 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
	wepmode OFF weptxkey 1

I can config the WNIC, but when running dstumbler I get a core dump
(most of the times). I even got freebsd to panic.
When running a sniffer I can't see anything, only my laptop trying to
send some packets, so the WNIC is not able to receive anything.
I forgot to set pccard_enable="YES" in rc.conf, could that be the
problem? (It will be some days before I can test it again.)
I had one of my friends test the NIC on his windows laptop, it works
fine.

Any clues?

br
socketd

ps: Please cc to me as I am not on this list