Network messaging

paul beard paulbeard at mac.com
Wed Nov 19 20:29:09 PST 2003

On Nov 19, 2003, at 1:21 PM, Feltis, Ralph C. wrote:

> Ahh yes, I see how preparing an elegant solution would provide greater
> flexibility.  However, Cordula's solution (ssh user at some.host strings
> somefile) is about a 15 second fix, whereas setting up a server is,
> well,
> not so much a 15 second fix.  Thanks for your all help guys.

This is something you could find in the Perl Cookbook (or even in the
man pages, if I remember rightly).

Or you could do it really crudely and have a shell script that consists
of "cat /some/text/file" set up in /etc/services and [x]inetd to spit
out the information you want. Depends on how secure it needs to be or
how involved you want to get.