USB Printing

Jake Stride jake.stride at senokian.com
Wed Nov 19 14:22:55 PST 2003

I have tried to search the web for the answer to this question, but it
seems most people suddenly become freebsd geniuses since they post a
similar question get a few replies but never seem to publish the answer.

I have a HP PSC950 USB printer, now after some playing around I seem to
be able to get freebsd to accept it:

-su-2.05b# dmesg | grep usb
usb0: <UHCI (generic) USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
usb1: <UHCI (generic) USB controller> on uhci1
usb1: USB revision 1.0
usb2: <UHCI (generic) USB controller> on uhci2
usb2: USB revision 1.0
usb3: <UHCI (generic) USB controller> on uhci3
usb3: USB revision 1.0
-su-2.05b# dmesg | grep lp
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
-su-2.05b# usbdevs -v
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), Intel(0x0000),
rev 1.00
  port 1 addr 2: power 2 mA, config 1, PSC 950(0x1e11),
Hewlett-Packard(0x03f0), rev 1.00
  port 2 powered

However I get the all to familiar:

-su-2.05b# lptest > /dev/ulpt0
-su: /dev/ulpt0: Device not configured
-su-2.05b# lptest > /dev/unlpt0
-su: /dev/unlpt0: Device not configured

I have compiled my kernel with usb support as per the GENERIC kernel:

device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus
and da
device          ums             # Mouse
device          uscanner        # Scanners
device          urio            # Diamond Rio MP3 Player

but still am having no success.

If there is already a suitable answer to this on the net, I would
appreciate it if someone could point me towards it, else if someone
else has had similar problems and solve them I would be grateful if you
could let me know how.

Many thanks

Jake