OK, it's time

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Wed Nov 19 12:17:51 PST 2003

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 09:02 am, stan wrote:
> It feels like time to start using FreeBSD 5.1 CURRENT. I'm starting to see
> things that are only supported in it (as oposed to 4 STABLE).
>
> So, is it possible (and safe) to upgrade a 4 STABLE machine to 5?

I have my fses separated such as /, /var, /tmp, /usr/obj, /usr/src, and 5 uses
a lot more space. I reworked the sizes of everything. So, I think it is a
good idea to do a clean install of 5.x. You also have a new base compiler and
things such as old headers in the include directories can cause problems. The
old YMMV always applies, i.e., what didn't work for me may work for you.

I think it is generally accepted that 5.x is not a release quality system such
as 4.x is. That isn't supposed to occur until 5.3. You may find that a cvsup
upgrade of 5-current runs close to 2x longer than 4-stable. I have a Creative
Audigy sound card and it isn't supported properly in either 4.x or 5.x.
Following 5-current has a price and it isn't always a fix. When 5.3-stable is
created and the upgrades go into 6-current, are you going to have to follow
it.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart