what is this for

Jason Stewart jstewart at rtl.org
Wed Nov 19 07:31:28 PST 2003

On 19/11/03 10:10 -0500, M.D. DeWar wrote:
> [ -x /usr/games/fortune ] && /usr/games/fortune freebsd-tips
>
> why and what is this command for.
> I found it in the /home/user directory in the .profile file.
>
> no such thing in usr/games.
> no errors in the message files
> and searching freebsd ports shows no game called fortune.
>
> I assume its a x game but why is it listed ?
>
> Thanks
> mark

Hi Mark,

Try having a look at the man page for fortune:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=fortune&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+5.1-RELEASE+and+Ports&format=html

You couldn't find it in ports, because fortune is not a port, it's
part of the base, and it has nothing to do with X.

You probably chose not to install it during the
install process. The reason that it's installed by default, I presume,
is that it's helpful to new users since it prints out tips about
freebsd.

Jason