Question abt arp in 5.1-RELEASE

Ilya V. Serov iliah at lek.ru
Wed Nov 19 07:02:38 PST 2003

Hello dear all.

    I've got a curious thing with FBS 5.1-RELEASE, concerning arp
requests/reply. I have a LAN, connected to Internet through CISCO
router. Recently I had to move one ip address inside my LAN from a 4.8
box to a 5.1 box without a reboot (ifconfig ...). After this I had
discovered that CISCO continue sending packets to old MAC address (to
4.8). After an investigation of the problem I discovered, thet CISCO had
not "forgotten" the old MAC. If  ip is being moved from 4.8 box to 4.8
box this effect fanishes.
    Did anyone get similar problems? Is it a feature or a bug in 5.1, or
I don't understand something?

				Great thanks in advance for any support.

				With respect and kind regards,
				Ilya V. Serov, St-Petersburg, Russia.