5.1-RELEASE on a machine with 24MB RAM

Jan Stary jsta6559 at artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz
Wed Nov 19 05:50:23 PST 2003

Hi list,

I am running 5.1-RELEASE on a outdated machine - it's a Compaq
Deskpro 2000, manufactured ~1995, with Pentium/100 and 24MB RAM.
I made a 64MB swap partition.

I wonder if there are any particular options (systcl vm.* ?) that
I should be intersted in to get the best out of the machine.

I did sysctl -ae | sed 's/^/#/' >> /etc/sysctl.conf and went
through all of it, but the descriptions (sysctl -ad) didn't
really tell me much.

The handbook advised me to put MAXUSERS 0 into kernconf, so that
the systems puts a reasonable default value into kern.maxusers.
Is there something more to tweak?

Is there some documentation about running FreeBSD on a very
lowmem machine? Some discussion of kern.maxusers?

	Thank you

		Jan