printer/tcp: bind: Address already in use

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Mon Nov 17 18:26:33 PST 2003

At 6:02 PM -0800 11/17/03, K Anderson wrote:
>Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>>
>>Are all the messages from the same process?  And is that
>>process really 'inetd'?  If so, what kind of entries do
>>you have in /etc/inetd.conf?
>
>Woa, thanks for the quick response.

Just a matter of luck...  :-)

>Yes, the process is really inetd. Since in the inetd.conf
>there is the following entry:
>   printer         515/tcp    spooler
>   printer         515/udp    spooler

Are those lines really in your /etc/inetd.conf file?  Those
look more like lines from /etc/services.

>And the lprng.sh wants to load lpd from /usr/local/sbin. I
>do have cups-lpr installed but I don't recall this issue
>arising from it.

I have no experience with cups-lpr or lprng, so I'm not sure
what would be causing the problems you described.  But anything
named /usr/local/etc/rc.d/blah.sh will be executed at startup.
(well, if it is marked as executable).  I don't think inetd
enters into that.  But maybe the script launches another copy
of inetd with a different config file.

>I killed the lpd process and the renamed lprng.sh to something
>like lprng.sh.runthisandyoudie. Now inetd doesn't complain.
>Of course I don't understand what application put it there.

Try:

pkg_info -W /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lprng.sh
or
pkg_which /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lprng.sh

(pkg_which is under /usr/local/sbin, if you've installed
the portupgrade port).  You might have to move the file
back to it's original name for those commands to work...

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu