New CPU

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Mon Nov 17 14:44:34 PST 2003

On Monday 17 November 2003 01:09 pm, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:
> Rafi Lurman wrote:
> >Hi, I currently have FBSD 4.9 on a Celeron 950MHZ system. I plan to
> >replace both the motherboard and CPU on it to a 1.2GHZ AMD ATHLON. Will
> >I run into any problems if I did this? It's the same architecture. Would
> >I have to compile all my ports again under the new Athlon?
>
> I've run FreeBSD 4.x for over two years now, and whenever
> a box has failed, I've been able to just grab the HDD (assuming,
> of course, that it was some other part that failed) and stick it
> in another box with only minimal problems (usually it's refconfigging
> /etc/rc.conf to deal with a different NIC....) regardless of what other
> hardware was there.  Now, mind you, these are usually boxes that
> serve http, smtp, dns, etc., and not a complete working desktop
> with high-bit video, audio, USB, etc.

That has always been one of the cool features of FreeBSD. If you specify only
the default CFLAGS and don't take advantage of cpu features, you can drop the
HDs from a Celeron into an AMD 2400+ XP and have it run out of the box. I had
a voltage regulator blow last week and fry a mother board and all pci cards.
I'm not sure what went first but when it exploded and sent shrapnel past me
into the room it got my attention. I expect to replace the mobo with a new
cpu and pci cards and have it boot on the first try. The only problem will be
reconfiguring the video card. The old Geforce 2 was no longer available.

Kent

> I can't imagine that you'll have much trouble moving, as long as
> you check the HCL (hardware compatibility list) at freebsd.org
> first.  Of course, that may depend on how many small irksome details
> constitute "much trouble" .... :D
>
> Kevin Kinsey
> DaleCo, S.P.

Kent Stewart