DVD-RAM on FreeBSD 5.1R (LG 4040)?

Stefan A. Deutscher sa.deutscher at tiscali.de
Mon Nov 17 14:02:15 PST 2003

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 04:48:26PM -0800, Kent Stewart wrote:
> On Sunday 16 November 2003 04:26 pm, Stefan A. Deutscher wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> >  just got an ATAPI LG 4040 multiwriter (CD-R/RW, DVD+/-R,+/-RW, and
> > DVD-RAM) and wish to use it on FreeBSD 5.1. While still having to
> > configure the system to address it in UDMA rather than PIO 4 mode, it
> > installed fine. Reading and writing CDs in all possible variations works
> > fine with burncd. Yet many of my scripts are written for cdrecord, so
> > I'd rather stick with that tool instead of learing yet another one.
> >
> > Two questions arise
> >
> > (a) How do I get such a unit to treat DVD-RAM just as slow, random
> >     access optical media (much like an MO-Disk)?
> >     I do not wish to do burncd or cdrecord on it, I wish to write to it
> >     directly, if possible.
> >     Alas, I could not put a new disk label on the blank (disklabel says
> >     'unknown type: auto'), and newfs does not like it either. So I am
> >     stuck.
> >
> > (b) Google and the online handbook (for 4.x though) tell me that I
> >     need
> >
> >       device atapicam
> >       device scbus
> >       device pass
> >
> >     in my kernel to get to use the ATAPI unit like a SCSI unit
> >     (e.g. with cdrecord and friends). However, on 5.1R I cannot find any
> >     mention of an atapicam device, neither in GENERIC nor in the hints
> >     nor NOTES. Now, what's a man to do?
> >

> > I checked the freebsd.org FAQs and archives, google and the news groups,
> > but most stuff there is not really conclusive. In case this is a FAQ,
> > after all, please just post a pointer.
> >
> > Any hints are much appreciated.
>
> ruby# more /boot/loader.conf
> # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
> userconfig_script_load="YES"
> hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"
>
> Enough of a hint :).
>
> Kent

Thanks, Kent! Now the DVD drive works in DMA mode rather than PIO, and
writes to DVD+RW at 3.1 MB/s or about as fast as my SCSI CD-ROM can read
out the FBSD 5.1 image. Neat.

Alas, I still have no clue how to convince the DVD-RAM disk to
cooperate. Any thoughts?

 Cheers,
           Stefan

Stefan A. Deutscher                             |
Donostia International Physics Center           | office: ++34-943-018174
Universidad del Pais Vasco, Facultad de Quimica | fax   : ++34-943-015600
Departamento de Fisica de Materiales            | home  : ++34-943-270647
Apartado 1072, San Sebastian 20080, Spain       | email : sad at mailaps.org