Logitech MX Duo troubles (fast RF wireless keyboard and mouse)

Markie markie at notwentytwo.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Nov 17 11:13:50 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "kirt" <KirtSenser at gaultopia.org>
To: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 6:54 PM
Subject: Re: Logitech MX Duo troubles (fast RF wireless keyboard and mouse)

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 06:45:58AM -0000, Markie wrote:
> > > i recently had a small child (my daughter) jump into my lap while
drinking
> > > mr. pibb which then ended up pouring almost directly into my old
keyboard.
> > > while i have attemtpted to clean that keyboard out (washed it
thoroughly),
> > i'm
> > > still waiting for it to dry before testing it.  so, in the mean time,
> > > thought i'd go ahead and get a new keyboard.  since staples and the
other
> > > local computer stores don't carry my keyboard of choice, i "settled"
for
> > the
> > > next best thing, which was the logitech MX duo (which is the logitech
> > elite
> > > wireless keyboard and the MX700 mouse).  both of these work perfectly
in
> > > windows, even through my KVM (an IoGear miniview USB KVM model
G-CS104U).
> > but,
> > > when i use the KVM to switch to the freebsd box, it notices the USB
> > devices
> > > like this...
> > >
> > > uhub3: Texas Instruments TUSB2046 hub, class 9/0, rev 1.10/1.25, addr
2
> > > uhub3: 4 ports with 4 removable, self powered
> > > ukbd0: Logitech USB Receiver, rev 1.10/21.00, addr 3, class 3/1
> > > kbd0 at ukbd0
> > > ums0: Logitech USB Reveiver, rev 1.10/21.00, addr 3, class 3/1
> > > ums0: 7 buttons and Z dir
> > >
> > > then, the keyboard will work, although it has a tendency to "feel
laggy"
> > and
> > > sometimes repeats letters if i'm typing quickly, and the mouse doesn't
> > work at
> > > all.  so... i need to figure out why the keyboard is laggy to begin
with
> > (even
> > > though it is perfectly responsive in windows) and why the mouse
doesn't
> > even
> > > show up.   thanks in advance...  ;D
> > >
> > > kirt
> >
> > What version of freebsd are you running? I have the same mouse and a
belkin
> > 2 port e series switch and it's quite the opposite. Works good both ways
but
> > after I switch from Windows -> Freebsd then back to Windows again it
feels
> > laggy in Windows until I unplug it and plug it back in again. I am using
the
> > PS2 convertor.
> >
> i'm using FreeBSD 5.1 p10, but since my KVM is USB only i have it plugged
in
> using the USB port.  I otherwise love the keyboard and mouse, but if i
can't
> use it with FreeBSD i'll probably take it back, since i only use my
windows
> box for playing games and such, and do most of my real work on my BSD box.
> not being able to type at a sufficient speed is a tremendous pain.
>
> i have noticed one thing, that in windows if i'm holding a key down and i
> press another key, it stops the held down key, prints the currently hit
key
> and then stops.  for example... kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkg
>
> in FreeBSD if i'm holding down a key and press another key it prints the
> pressed key once and then resumes spitting out the still held down key,
for
> example kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkgkkkkkkk
>
> is there a way to get freebsd to use the first (windows) behavior? as i
think
> that will help with the slight bit of lag i'm getting in BSD causing
> characters to double print.
>
> -kirt

Ahh, I think someone else had this problem fairly recently with a USB
keyboard thinking about it, possibly on the hackers list. Possibly fixed
in -CURRENT *but I am not sure!* You may want to give -CURRENT a shot or
perhaps try 4.9? Sorry I am not much help :oP I am pretty sure I remember
your keyboard problem being mentioned on either questions or hackers though.