Changing a company from 100% Windows to 100% FreeBSD.

Lee Mx lee_ver_mx at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 17 06:27:30 PST 2003

I am switching about 40 desktop's running different versions of
windows over to freebsd.  One of the primary requirements is
OpenOffice-1.1 and I've always run it locally on my laptop.
I'm considering running it over the LAN which would mean that
I suppose that I would NFS mount the binary and do the network
install.  Could someone who has done this tell me if they
recommend running it on the network or if it would be better to
just install it on each of the 40 machines.  This company and
every user, uses Office daily, especially excel.

Also if anyone has any other suggestions that would simplify
anything in the chain from the initial installation to periodic
upgrading, it would be highly appreciated.

I'm planning on having a central server that will be cvsuping
updated sources and ports daily, making world and portupgrade
-Rruap periodically.  I plan to NFS mount /usr/ports and not
have local copies to not have to update them. I'm thinking that
I could then, fairly easily upgrade the other machines by just
installing the packages when needed.  It could also serve as a
local repository for updating the operating system or I suppose
that I could also NFS mount /usr/src and /usr/obj and do an
installworld to upgrade, too.  Again any opinions, observations
or suggestion are highly appreciated.  I've never changed
100% to FreeBSD before :-)

The only other bumps in the road are programs that can read
corel draw files and if it could write them it would be even
better but I haven't been able to find any.  The last is a
viewer for AutoCAD.  I've found a couple but have no experience
with any of them.  Does anyone have a suggestion.

Thanks, for you help,

Lee