Samba question

Marty Landman MLandman at face2interface.com
Mon Nov 17 06:11:43 PST 2003

At 09:36 PM 11/16/2003, Luke Kearney wrote:

>Did you actually set up a user account ?

Not that silly a question to me as I've not been sure what this means. I
have done as root

mbpasswd -a -U Marty

but how does this relate to what I do on a windoz box when trying to access
the share?

>Is there a line in your smb.conf that refers to listening interfaces and
>are they the correct interfaces/addresses ?

Not sure; if this means the 'hosts allow' line I believe it's correct

# cat /usr/local/etc/smb.conf
[global]

    workgroup = Face2Interface
    server string = Samba Server
    hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.

    log file = /var/log/log.%m
    max log size = 500
;  security = user
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
    dns proxy = no

[test]
         comment = For testing only, please
         path = /tmp
         read only = yes
         guest ok = yes

>most definately not normal behaviour. smbd should be spawing a process
>as root ie the master process and then one process per user so if you
>cannot see smbd running then I cannot see how you can hope to connect
>sucessfully. nmbd is the netbios name daemon so if that is running you
>should be able to "see" the computer but without smbd you cannot connect.

That helps cuz it confirms what I've suspected that my installation is
fubar. Luke, I think my best bet is to rtfm instead of chasing my tail (and
bugging others in the process).

Thanks.

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site