failed X11 install, now what?

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Sat Nov 15 10:55:13 PST 2003

On Sat, Nov 15, 2003 at 09:44:43AM -0500, Marty Landman wrote:
> This is what I found on the screen this morning after letting
>
> make all install clean

Did you execute this in /usr/ports? Its better to select only the port
you like to have.

> run all night:
>
> /usr: write failed, file system is full
> /usr/bin/tar: xc/fonts/util/KOI8-R.TXT: Wrote only 0 of 10240 bytes
> /usr/bin/tar: Skipping to next header
> /usr/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11-fonts/XFree86-4-fontScalable.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4.
> #

> # df
> Filesystem  1K-blocks    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> /dev/ad0s1a    128990   35170   83502    30%    /
> /dev/ad0s1f    257998     284  237076     0%    /tmp
> /dev/ad1s1e   2030062 2015906 -148248   108%    /usr
> /dev/ad0s1e    257998    2762  234598     1%    /var
> procfs              4       4       0   100%    /proc

Just as a tip 'df -h' give human readable output.

> Which brings to mind a couple questions.
>
> 1. ad1 is a 2GB ide slaved to ad0  which is only 1GB - what must I do
> immediately to clear space on ad1 or is nothing impacted with the disk
> being over full?

A port first fetches the sources it need and places these in
/usr/ports/distfiles/. You could empty this with:
rm -rf /usr/ports/distfiles/*

You could also move /usr/src/ and /usr/obj to another machine and mount
them from there. As a added bonus, you then can let the other machine do
most of the building during updates of the main system.

You could also move /usr/ports/ to this machine. You do need to edit the
working directory in /etc/make.conf (copy it from /etc/defaults/ if it
doesn't exist) becuase you don't want to mount the working directory.

> 2. just how much space should I need? I know that's a loaded question, but
> I have another 2.5GB ide I could slave to the secondary port off the cdrom,
> or swap some disks around with other networks or; hard to plan unless I can
> make guesstimates about the future; is there a space planning guide around
> somewhere.

It depends on what you like to do. My kde workstaion has a 2 GB disk and
du -h gives:
/dev/ad0s1g            2.0G   1.5G   340M    82%    /usr

This doesn't inculde /usr/ports/, /usr/src/ and /usr/obj/, since I let
antoher machine handle this. The later two are for upgrading your
system.

du -sh /usr/* gives:
287M    X11R6
 11M    bin
 85M    compat
2.0K    export1
1.5M    games
145M    home (one user)
8.8M    include
 28M    lib
 11M    libdata
 16M    libexec
879M    local
428M    ports (exist on another computer; the minium is 250M)
334M    src (exist on another computer)
435M    obj (exist on another computer)
6.6M    sbin
 36M    share

For a workstation with X and sources you need 3G, without souces you
need 2G.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use: