Install X windows in Free BSD 4.8 - Help required.

Verghese George vgeorge at groupwise.swin.edu.au
Thu Nov 13 15:54:26 PST 2003

Hello,
Thanks for the help.
I still have a problem starting up the X windows.
First of all the login screen for X windows still does not allow me to
get into the system. When I type my login name and password ,  the
screen goes blank and the login screen reappears after some time. If I
type C-A-F1, I can get into the command line mode. When I type startx on
command line, it fails.
When remove /tmp/X0.lock and retry with startx, I can get into kde ( I
enabled KDE from the /stand/sysinstall mode. )

Is it not possible to get directly into X window screen or kde when
typing startx?
How can  I log  in from the login screen into X windows or kde?

I have given below the output from /var/log/XFree86.0.log

XFree86 Version 4.3.0
Release Date: 27 February 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 4.8 i386 [ELF]
Build Date: 23 March 2003
	Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/