File System Limits on FreeBSD-stable

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu Nov 13 12:20:22 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 12:07:12PM -0800, Max Clark wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What are the file system, file size limits for FreeBSD-stable? I
> understand that there is a 2TB file system limit, but what about the
> file size? I have a friend who cannot create a file over 2GB. Should
> he be able to? Does 5.x handle this differently?

I am not sure exactly what limit is for file size (among other things
it depends on the block size used), but, just as for file system size,
the limit is in the TB-range.
It is most certainly possible to create files larger than 2GB.
If your friend is unable to, he is doing something wrong.
(All of the above applies for both 4.x and 5.x)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013 at student.uu.se