apache install problem

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Thu Nov 13 10:41:49 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 13, 2003 at 12:21:23PM -0500, Marty Landman wrote:
> I just installed Apache2 and not sure how to proceed, if I'm doing things
> wrong from here or there is some other problem:
>

> $ which apachectl
> /usr/local/sbin/apachectl
> $ apachectl start
> httpd: Could not determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using
> 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
> (13)Permission denied: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:80
> Unable to open logs
Sounds as though:
- there's no ServerName set up in httpd.conf
  (the Could not determine...  error)
  - check and make sure the ServerName line is right for your domain (or
	just use localhost to test it out)
- you started the server once already and it's already listening on port
  80 (the make_sock error)
  - make sure the server isn't already running when you issue:
    apachectl start
- a perms problem exists on the logfile, again check the logfile setup
  in httpd.conf and make sure the file is writeable by the www user
  (although this problem may be related to the previous one)

--
Jez Hancock
 - System Administrator / PHP Developer

http://munk.nu/