Newbie: The C / C++ Issue

Chris Howells chris at chrishowells.co.uk
Thu Nov 13 08:12:27 PST 2003

> On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Alex Kelly wrote:
> Good advice:
> Have a look at Bruce Eckel's free, though excellent, electronic
> books at
> http://mindview.net/Books/
> "Thinking in C++"
> and get started. FreeBSD's built in gcc should do all you need
> for the beginning.

There's no way, IMO, that you can learn C++ from "Thinking in C++". I
tried... and failed (though I was 15 at the time and had no previous
programming knowledge apart from trying to learn C and hating every minute
of it). It's no doubt an excellent book, I have a paper copy of it, but I
consider rather more a book for those that know a reasonable amount of C++
and want to advance their knowledge.

Cheers,
Chris Howells