FreeBSD Essay.

paul beard paulbeard at mac.com
Wed Nov 12 12:06:15 PST 2003

Lewis Thompson wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I'm a first year CS student at Manchester and I've been given the task
> of writing a 1,000 word essay on something computer-related.  It can be
> pretty much anything I want (I think).  I've decided FreeBSD is
> interesting, the OS I advocate and that I shall write about this.
>
>   I am planning to write a brief history of the four BSDs, going way
> back in time (probably a few words on Ritchie, etc.) but then
> concentrate on FreeBSD.

I think showing the pedigree is a good idea. I would extend it to
discuss and demonstrate how FreeBSD is a system with solid design
principles and a resourceful community around it. It's benefits
are more than technical, as anyone on this list can attest.

Given the short length, I think an overview of how FreeBSD came to
be, it's strengths, and whatever seems appropriate in the
projected evolution would be worth reading.

--
Paul Beard
<http://paulbeard.no-ip.org/movabletype/>

Who messed with my anti-paranoia shot?