Mysterious manpage & *roff problems solved (SOLUTION)

Forrest Aldrich forrie at forrie.com
Wed Nov 12 10:56:53 PST 2003

I had posted recently regarding a mysterious problem I had with my manpage
subsystem not working properly.  This has been a problem for quite some time.

After analyzing ktrace/kdump outputs, removing any conflicting *roff files
in /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/share, we still couldn't get it
working.   Interestingly, there are no indications of *roff in /var/db/pkg,
so I have no idea how it ended up under /usr/local to begin with.

The solution, thanks to Larry Rosenman <ler at lerctr.org>, was to backup my
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf file and "rm -rf" the entire /usr/src and /usr/obj
trees, then re-CVSup (putting back my kernel config) and rebuild/reinstall
the system.

It was a pickle - as the problem just didn't seem obvious.  So, somewhere
along the line something got munged up in the /usr/src directory.

I hope this solution helps someone out there that may get bitten by
this.   And again thanks to Larry.

Forrest