Newbie: Touchy Travan tape drive rewind problem

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Wed Nov 12 10:48:43 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003, Christophe wrote:
>I've installed FreeBSD 4.9-RELEASE on a Dell 400SC with an ATA Travan
>tape drive, accessing it through /dev/ast0.  On linear writing
>operations, it works great... but there appears to be some kind of
>timeout problem on rewind:

A good general rule about using the Travan tape drives is -- don't.

We used them for about a year until they started giving all kinds of wierd
problems that appeared to be hardware related, timeouts, not able to read
tapes after they were written, etc.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common.
Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts
to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to
be one of the facts that needs altering.
                -- Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"