backup drive scheme

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Wed Nov 12 09:34:27 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 07:46:39AM -0800, Noah wrote:

> FreeBSD 4.8 -STABLE
>
> I currently have two 120GB SCSI drives in a machine.  one drive is the main
> disk and the other drive is a complete exact copy of the first drive.
>
> I am using rsync every 24 hours to backup drive 1 to drive 2.  can somebody
> recommend another backup solution here?  Things are working fine right now.
> just trying to figure out other solutions?

That's not a bad system per se -- would you care to elaborate what
about that scheme is unsatisfactory?  What sort of characteristics are
you looking for in your backup scheme: for instance how long do you
want to retain backups for?  How much stuff do you want to backup?
What about keeping off-site copies? Is it more important to be able to
recover a system quickly or is it more important to cram as many
copies of the data as possible onto the available media?

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way