Newbie: The C / C++ Issue

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Tue Nov 11 19:00:42 PST 2003

On Nov 11, 2003, at 9:06 PM, Alex Kelly wrote:

> Thanks for all of the great suggestions to my previous question!
>
> Yet, the responses have led me to another question. If C++ is newer
> and more advanced than C, will it replace C? If so, should I learn C++
> and forget C?
>
> Alex

It hasn't yet.  C++ and C are used by different types of people for
different things.  If you want to write applications in Windows or Unix
environments, C++ will work great for you.  If you want to write kernel
level stuff, C would be the choice.  If you want to write Mac OS X
apps, Objective C is the answer (but C would work too with Carbon).

A few more points:
The C programming Language AKA K&R is partly authored by Dennis
Ritchie.  He wrote the language.  That is THE book.  Buy it and another
book if you want to learn C.

The C++ programming language is also written by the author of the
language.  Its a good reference, but you can't learn C++ with it.  You
need more books.  I have the C++ o'rielly book and its good, but lacks
decent info on Object oriented programming.  I'd recommend Absolute C++
along with it to get the basics and then buy the C++ programming
language if you really get into it.

As for what language to learn, I can tell you that C is very helpful
when learning C++ and Objective C.  I took a course on C last year and
its helped greatly with the C++ course I'm taking now.  I understand
where things come from in C++.  I must say that C++ is easier than C in
my view as i get Object oriented programming to some degree from VB and
Java work i've done.  I'm also starting to learn objective C (the
competitor to C++) so that I can utilize my Macintosh as a development
platform.  The reason apple used objective C was because Mac OS X is
really Nextstep which was written in like 1988 or so.

C is not useless when trying to learn C++, although they are different.
  I do think of C++ as a superset of C, although as someone pointed out
not a perfect one.  Fans of each language prefer the model of
programming associated with them.  A C++ programmer almost always like
object oriented design.  C programmers like structured programming.
Find out which you like and go that route.

Lucas Holt
Luke at FoolishGames.com
FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)
JustJournal.com (Free blogging)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and
I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)