Build a duplicate system - but upgrade OS version?

W. D. WD at US-Webmasters.com
Tue Nov 11 13:35:48 PST 2003

Hi folks,

I have a FreeBSD 4.4 webserver that's been working fine for nearly 2 years.
This computer was purchased from a systems integrator, so I am not
intimately familiar with how it was configured.

I would like to build another machine that would be nearly identical,
having all the same software and functionality, but use the latest
production OS.  Is there a cheat sheet somewhere that would give the
salient information to do this?  What are the *SEQUENTIAL* steps
to accomplish this?

I've looked at the handbook & did a Google search already:
http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/handbook.html

("duplicate server" OR "clone server" OR "copy server configuration") site:FreeBSD.org
http://tinyurl.com/ulft

Are there some config files that I could duplicate?

How about my IPFW firewall?  How can that be transferred?

Are there other programs like IPFW, that aren't listed in
pkg_info?

Here's the output I get when I run pkg_info:
# pkg_info

Mesa-3.4.2_1        A graphics library similar to SGI's OpenGL
adptfbsd_304        Adaptec RAID Management Software v3.04
amanda-2.3.0.4      The Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver
bash-2.05           The GNU Bourne Again Shell
cups-1.1.10.1       The Common UNIX Printing System
fam-2.6.4           A file alteration monitor
gettext-0.10.35     GNU gettext package
iconv-2.0_1         Charset conversion library and utilities
jpeg-6b             IJG's jpeg compression utilities
kde-2.2             The "meta-port" for KDE 2
kdebase-2.2_2       Base modules for the KDE integrated X11 desktop
kdegames-2.2        Games for the KDE integrated X11 desktop
kdegraphics-2.2     Utilities for the KDE integrated X11 desktop
kdelibs-2.2_3       Libraries for KDE2
kdemultimedia-2.2   Utilities for the KDE integrated X11 desktop
kdenetwork-2.2      Network modules for KDE2
kdeutils-2.2        Utilities for the KDE integrated X11 desktop
koffice-1.1,1       Office suite for KDE2
lcms-1.07_1         Light Color Management System -- a color management library
libaudiofile-0.2.2  A sound library for SGI audio file
libiconv-1.7_1      A character set conversion library
libmng-1.0.2        Multiple-image Network Graphics (MNG) reference library
libwww-5.3.1        The W3C Reference Library
libxml2-2.4.3_1     Xml parser library for GNOME
linux_base-6.1      The base set of packages needed in Linux mode
p5-Net-1.0703       Perl5 modules to access and use network protocols
pcre-3.4            Perl Compatible Regular Expressions library
pico-4.0            PIne's message COmposition editor
pkgconfig-0.8.0     An utility used to retrieve information about installed lib
png-1.2.0           Library for manipulating PNG images
python-2.1.1        An interpreted object-oriented programming language
qt-2.3.1            A C++ X GUI toolkit
teTeX-1.0.7         Thomas Esser's distribution of TeX & friends
tiff-3.5.5          Tools and library routines for working with TIFF images
trafshow-3.1_1      Full screen visualization of the network traffic
uulib-0.5.13        A library for uu/xx/Base64/BinHex de-/encoding
xanim-2.80.2        Play most popular animation formats and show pictures
xpm-3.4k            The X Pixmap library
ytalk-3.1.1         A new "talk" that can talk to multiple parties at once