recovering data

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Tue Nov 11 08:41:23 PST 2003

carmoda <freebsd.org at carmoda.com> writes:

> I would like to know if there is a proceedure i might be able to
> follow to recover a file that was deleted on a FreeBSD fileserver with
> SAMBA from a Windows 2000 workstation..
>
> i know the file's name and i have powered down the server.

The usual approach is to get it from your backups.

The inode would help more than the filename, but you still might be
able to retrieve it if you are thoroughly knowledgeable in filesystem
internals.  Since you're asking the question, I assume you're not.
You might look around for a tool that (if I recall correctly) is
called the Coroner's Toolkit.