PPPoE Daemon Problems

Tue Nov 11 07:43:08 PST 2003

Hi, I have a Windows XP computer connecting to a FreeBSD 4.8 Stable box running PPPoE Daemon. The connection, disconnection works perfectly - however if I yank out the cable of 'live' PPPoE connection (or terminate it via a windows crash) on the Windows XP PC, the tunnel interface fails to be placed in a 'down' state on the PPPoE FreeBSD box. This results in a debug error informing me that:

Error: ipcp_InterfaceUp: unable to set ip address

repeatadly. Only a reboot seems to resolve the issue. I assume this message is referring to the fact it thinks the IP address is in use and bound to a tunnel currently in an 'UP' state. Does PPP not maintain a link state? Is this a bug? Or is their a way around the problem so that when a user terminates, the tunnel is brought down gracefully at the FreeBSD end, freeing the IP address?

My ppp.conf is:

default:
    set log Chat Command Phase
    enable chap