Enemy Territory

Robin Schoonover end at endif.cjb.net
Mon Nov 10 12:11:47 PST 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 21:01:24 +0100, "Karel J. Bosschaart"
<K.J.Bosschaart at tue.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:29:30PM -0700, Robin Schoonover wrote:
> >
> > Or maybe it was only partially installed (and some of the opengl libs
> > weren't).  That doesn't make sense... So I reinstalled the
> > nvidia-driver from ports, and tried running tuxracer again.  Doh!
> > Crashed X.  Of course, GLX isn't loaded, so it gets confused, so I'll
> > just have to restart X....and I get this message:
> >
> > (II) [GLX]: Initializing GLX extension
> >
> > Well, that looks promising.  Fire up Descent 3 and....Wow.  Descent 3
> > is a lot different from the first one.  So much higher resolution...
> >
> > Well, thanks for the help.  (although this may be a bad thing..how will
> > I get -anything- real done??)
> >
> Maybe you did a portupgrade or reinstall of XFree86-Server? This will
> overwrite some files installed by the nvidia driver. I'm always
> reinstalling nvidia-driver after upgrading XFree86-Server/libraries
> just to be sure. It's also necessary to reinstall the nvidia driver
> after upgrading FreeBSD.

I just realized that was exactly what happened.  (I already had been
remembering to reinstall nvidia-driver after updating FreeBSD, but forgot
about XFree86)

> I prefer to reboot the machine after any nvidia-driver reinstall to
> be entirely sure that I have the newest kernel module loaded. Yes,
> that's ugly, but I got a bit reluctant on kldunload/kldload'ing this
> sort of critical things. My home desktop doesn't have a large uptime
> anyway as I'm turning it off if I don't need it.

I know the nvidia driver is the same. I didn't even have this machine
before the last update (July).  (But it might be a good idea anyway...)

--
Robin Schoonover (aka End)
#