NFS v2? possible?

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Sun Nov 9 19:03:36 PST 2003

In the last episode (Nov 09), Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC said:
> On Nov 9, 2003, at 4:28 AM, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> >On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 01:33:23AM -0700, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
> >wrote:
> >>I have a linux server that needs to mount my FBSD server's web
> >>volume and the linux server only has v2 support right now (and I
> >>cannot make my own kernel since this is a UML kernel distributed as
> >>part of a product) and so I would like to run a v2 compatible nfs
> >>server on my FBSD server if possible.  Can I do this?  How?  Thanks
> >
> >Read the mount_nfs and/or nfsd manpages..the answer is right there.
>
> The mount_nfs is for mounting on FreeBSD.  I am serving from FreeBSD
> and mounting on Linux, so that does not apply.  I read the nfsd man
> page a few time before posting, and just did again, and I see nothing
> in their about nfs versions except that the server listens on the
> port as outlined in thge NFS v3 spec.  Please enlighten me on what I
> should read in the nfsd man page.

You don't have to do anything actually.  FreeBSD serves both NFSv2 and
NFSv3 clients by default:

$ rpcinfo -p | grep nfs
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   udp   2049  nfs
    100003    2   tcp   2049  nfs
    100003    3   tcp   2049  nfs

You can disable NFSv3 with the -2 option to mountd, but if you have to
do that, then your Linux distro is extremely broken and you should have
your vendor fix it.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com