Gateway traffic reporting tool (port)

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Sun Nov 9 04:52:23 PST 2003

On Sat, Nov 08, 2003 at 02:29:08AM -0200, Augusto Jun Devegili wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a small home LAN with four machines. One of them (mine, actually)
> runs FreeBSD 5.1 and serves as a NAT/gateway between the LAN and an ADSL
> connection.
>
> I would like a tool for traffic reporting, detailing traffic information
> for each LAN computer (by IP or MAC address) so that I know who uses
> more bandwidth. This information should be provided on a time interval
> basis (e.g., between 2 a.m. and 3 a.m., how much traffic per IP/MAC
> address). If possible, I would like to know traffic from my localhost
> regardless of what it is forwarding (as it is the default gateway for
> the LAN, I don't know if that would be possible).

This can be done with IPA (its in the ports) in combination with IPFW.
If you like graphics then you could add MRTG on top of it all.

This is how it would look:
http://www.kruijff.org/stats/?dir=docs/&file=IP_accounting.txt

I have tree articles about how to setup this. These need to read in
order. The first is about setting up a simple firewall, the second is to
add IPA and the thirth is about adding MRTG.

Please contact me if you have trouble with it.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use:
http://www.kruijff.org/alex/index.php?dir=docs/FreeBSD/