No route to host

Luke Kearney lukek at meibin.net
Sun Nov 9 00:02:02 PST 2003

On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 01:57:35 -0500
Marty Landman <MLandman at face2interface.com> granted us these pearls of wisdom:

> I'm new to FreeBSD and have the 4.8 mini-iso installed. Have tried to
> install the nic and can ping my ip and localhost ok, but when I try to ping
> other boxes on my LAN get
>
> ping: sendto: No route to host
>
> An ifconfig shows ep0 UP and RUNNING; ipfw list replies Protocol not available.
>
> FWIW I also tried pinging the FreeBSD box from two other (Windoz) boxes on
> the LAN.

Hmm take a quick peek at your routing table - chances are you have not
told the machine much about your network

# netstat -rn

If the correct information is not there then something like

# route add default -interface ep0     ( or better yet if you have a
router )

# route add default 192.168.1.1  <-- where this is the address of the
router

If you can see the correct routing information the next likely culprit
is the firewall. Try turning off the firewall for starters.

HTH

Lukek