sftp mount?

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Sat Nov 8 04:36:31 PST 2003

* Lewis Thompson <purple at lewiz.net> [20031107 18:01]: wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 05:56:43PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> > * Lewis Thompson <purple at lewiz.net> [20031107 17:28]: wrote:
> > > At my university everything is firewalled and the only way I can
> > > transfer files to/from my account is to use sftp -- but that gets quite
> > > painful after a while.
> >
> > What do you mean by quite painful? sftp should be very easy to use
>
> Yeah, it is fairly easy to use but it's still annoying to be doing it.
> In reality what I want is to edit the remote files directly.  I don't
> want to be copying back/forth.  It can't really be automated either,
> since I'm not doing the same task over and over.
>
> > Basically you have to ask the folks administering your systems if they
> > allow NFS and I doubt it already.
>
> No, they don't.  Pretty much the only thing allowed is ssh/sftp.
>
> > > Or can anybody suggest any other way I might achieve something similar?
> > > Bear in mind I am actually restricted to sftp/ssh.
> >
> > Forget your ideas. Tell us what it is that you want to be doing.
>
> I want my remote home directory (available just by ssh) to be
> transparently available from a local directory :P

I don't know how to do that via ssh, but I know how to execute commands
remotely via SSH:

ssh remote_host -t -A /usr/bin/ee /path/to/some/file

        Best regards,
        Odhiambo Washington
        Wananchi Online Ltd.

PS::REQUEST

A: Why is top posting frowned upon?

http://learn.to/edit_messages

 Odhiambo W. wash(at)wananchi(dot)com	. WANANCHI ONLINE LTD (Nairobi, KE)
 http://www.wananchi.com/email/		. 1ere Etage, Loita Hse, Loita St.,
 Mobile: (+254) 722 743 223		. # 10286, 00100 NAIROBI
What the hell, go ahead and put all your eggs in one basket.

Markets are self-correcting. That's why I trust markets more than
governments. Governments usually aren't self-correcting, until too late.
    --Interview with Walter Wriston as reported in Wired 4.10