gateway/routing questions

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Fri Nov 7 16:15:11 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 02:25:11AM -0700, Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:
> I used to have a situation like this but it was a few years ago and I
> have forgotten how to set this up in detail.
>
> I have a class C network (public) and I have a FreeBSD box with lots of
> aliases on it providing various services.  There is also a Mandrake
> Linux box that belongs to a customer sitting on my net as well.  My
> provider where I am colocated provides the gateway for my class C in
> his fancy shmancy switch :-) .
>
> I want to add another box (a Linux one unfortunately for some high
> performance Java 1.4 stuff that won't run on FreeBSD) but I want to
> make it so that it is on a private class C that should co-exist with my
> regular class C.
>
> Lets say my public one is (this is made up) 128.1.1.0.  This is where
> the FBSD box lives.  I want to overlay 192.168.1.0 on my LAN.  I will
> give my FBSD box the address (alias) of 192.168.1.1 .  The new Linux
> box will have a bunch of addresses starting at 192.168.1.10 .
>
> The Linux box on the 192.168 network should not have any access going
> out (so I don't need NAT for example) nor of course coming in.  But the
> FBSD box should continue to have its normal public access on 128.1.1.0
> network plus access the Linux box on 192.168.  The Linux box should be
> able to talk to the FBSD box.
>
> I think that all I need to do is add an alias address (and a static
> route out the ethernet port?) to my BSD box and it should work.   I
> don't need anything else to have the BSD box live in this private
> network as well as the public one, since the private network does not
> need to get out at all.
>
> Is this reasoning correct?  In my test lab here I cannot recreate this
> exactly given some restrictions on how it is set up and so when I go
> and take the Linux box and stick it in the data room on Friday it
> needs to work without lots of trouble :-)

You don't need static route at all. You only use this when you default
route doesn't apply. This doesn't apply to you since you only have
traffic on your 192.168.1.0/24 network. So all you need is an alias.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use:
http://www.kruijff.org/alex/index.php?dir=docs/FreeBSD/