Fatal trap 12: page trap while in kernel mode

Pranav A. Desai pdesai1 at cs.uh.edu
Fri Nov 7 14:36:59 PST 2003

Hi!

I had this issue not long ago and it turned out to be a hardware issue.
The memory was bad. I was able to recreate this by running some command
like:
find / -name file_that_doesnt_exist -print
(just so that it will go thru the whole FS).

It would puke almost instantly. We replaced the memory and
it never happened again.

hope this helps

-pranav

Pranav A. Desai