Alsa

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Fri Nov 7 07:00:41 PST 2003

* Per Nilsson <admin at passarounders.com> [20031107 16:57]: wrote:

> Hi..
>
> My name is Per, and I have had a problem with getting my soundcard work i
> FreeBSD. I have tryed all from FreeBSD 4.5 to FreeBSD 5.1 but it will not
> work. Some say it has somthing with PnP, and that FreeBSD not supports
> PnP-Audio so well.
> Then I installed Slackware Linux, and I tryed out a package called Alsa
> (ran 'alsaconfig') and it found my Audiocard right away, but I prefer
> FreeBSD infront of Linux (almost hate Linux).. But here is my
> question:
>
> Do FreBSD have Alsa with alsaconfig or do devolopers at fbsd have plans to
> do somekind of alsa-project??

What is the model/make of your sound card?

In FreeBSD, for a PnP soundcard, all you have to do is compile a new kernel
with the following option:

# For PnP/PCI sound cards
device          pcm

After that if your soundcard is not detected, then you should try looking for
other options to use in /sys/i386/conf/LINT

-Wash

    |\      _,,,---,,_     | Odhiambo Washington    <wash at wananchi.com>
Zzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ | Wananchi Online Ltd.   www.wananchi.com
   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'| Tel: +254 20 313985-9  +254 20 313922
  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)     | GSM: +254 722 743223   +254 733 744121
+
From too much love of living,
From hope and fear set free,
We thank with brief thanksgiving,
Whatever gods may be,
That no life lives forever,
That dead men rise up never,
That even the weariest river winds somewhere safe to sea.
		-- Swinburne