partioning hd(changed from nothing)

Jason jason at ec.rr.com
Thu Nov 6 19:12:55 PST 2003

Marty Landman wrote:

> I've installed 4.8 off CD onto a PII-200 w/ 80MB ram and two ide's,
> primary has 1GB, secondary has 2GB.
>
> Don't understand how to allocate /usr to the secondary ide or even
> give it more space on the primary, and I run out of room with only 1/4
> GB for /usr to install most of the binaries. Would like for starters
> to allocate both those hd's to FreeBSD and have enough room to install
> Samba and see if I can then communicate over my LAN.
>
> Guess this alot, huh?
>
> Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
> Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site
> Make a Website: http://face2interface.com/Home/Demo.shtml

    I would advise you to check the freebsd website for the handbook.
Look at section 2.5, and 2.5.3 in particular.  It seems to me the
installer can do what you want without much fuss, but I have never used
2 disk like this before.  I would(without having actually doing it in
real life) but /var, /swap, /root, and /tmp on ad0 then move to ad2(if
the 2nd hd is on the 2nd cable, if not it will be ad1) and use the whole
disk for /usr.
    Samba is on the default install, depending on how far down you strip
it.  Type $mount_smbfs //user at server/node /mnt as root(the super user).
Sounds straight off the man page, which reminds me type $man mount and
$man mount_smbfs for some good info.  The mount command works like this:

mount_smfs= mount a file system(fs) of type samba(smb)

//user= user or account name of the computer you are connecting to.  For
example, on win98 the user name for the login screen when you boot up is
what you type.  If you forgot it, search for password files on the
windows box and delete them(*.pwl).  Next time you login just fill in
the blanks to reset them and you will have full control of the box as a
root type user, pretty lossy security isn't it?

@sever= the computer name.  Look under network properties for the
computer name, or right click on the my computer icon and read it from
the info there.

node= the part of the drive that you are sharing.  Did I forget to
mention sharing?  You have to have file and print sharing active under
network properties, then right click on the folder(or the whole drive)
from within explorer, chose sharing, chose how you want to set it up.
To see if it is being shared open network neighborhood and you should
find what you choose in there.  If you choose to share c drive, node = c.

/mnt= the mount point on freebsd.  This can be anything you want.  When
I dual boot I do a mkdir(make directory) to create a folder called
/win98.  It is empty until I mount my fat drive to it.  To make things
simple you can make a c directory to mount to, but that is why /mnt is
there and empty.
Hope this helps,
Jason