Internet Connection via Ethernet Can't See External DNS

Seth Burgess seth at equimax.com
Thu Nov 6 13:35:15 PST 2003

I am installing and configuring FreeBSD 4.8 for the first time.  My
internet connection is through a gateway on my peer to peer network.  My
internet connection is working because I can contact IP addresses on the
internet.  However, I cannot contact addresses requiring DNS.

I have entered working DNS addresses in my /etc/resolv.conf file like this:

nameserver 12.162.136.13

For some reason my installation is not using the nameservers I have entered
in resolv.conf and is behaving as if no name server is available.

What have I done wrong?

Thanks,

Seth