lan bandwidth issue

Jack L. Stone jacks at sage-american.com
Thu Nov 6 07:26:36 PST 2003

At 01:17 PM 11.6.2003 +0000, Chris Howells wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Wednesday 05 November 2003 11:25, silent slim wrote:
>> i'd like the network to go at 100Mbps since both cards could be able too
>> and the current speeds are laughable.
>
>The RealTek 8139 (rl0 and rl1) are pretty shitty network cards, the cheapest
>available (I can buy them for GBP £2, about USD $3). I only use them to
>connect my ADSL modem to my firewall because they're so cheap and
performance
>is not an issue there.
>
>You'll almost certainly get much better performance with some more expensive
>3Com or Intel cards.
>
>That may not be the only bottleneck of course.....
>
>- --
>Cheers, Chris Howells -- chris at chrishowells.co.uk, howells at kde.org

I've seen this before several thimes and I just can't pass it up this time.
Nothing personal meant, though, so no flames please.

This "price advice" then implies that if Realtek simply raised their
prices, the card would be just fine...??

One should not just go by "expensive", but do some research not just based
on that "easy" benchmark. The "cheapo" measurement is very misleading
considering some cards may just be "on sale" and are fine cards. ...or just
because they use the rlx driver....

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Administrator