Best Way to Fix a links Browser Compilation Problem

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Nov 5 11:48:32 PST 2003

	I am attempting to install a newer version of the "links" text
browser.  The Makefile tells you to
define WITHOUT_X11 if you are not using X so I modified the Makefile
to define that parameter as follows:
CONFIGURE_ARGS+=	--enable-javascript --with-ssl --without-svgalib --WITHOUT_X11

	Actually, that line may wrap when you read this message, but
all those defines are on one line and the WITHOUT_X11 is simply tacked
on to the end.

	Anyway, if I do a make build, the make abends with:

mv -f .libs/fcdir.lo fcdir.lo
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=compile cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/c
rm -f .libs/fcfreetype.lo
cc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I/usr/local/include/freetype2 -I/usr/local/inco
fcfreetype.c: In function `FcFreeTypeQuery':
fcfreetype.c:279: syntax error before `psfontinfo'
fcfreetype.c:738: `psfontinfo' undeclared (first use in this function)
fcfreetype.c:738: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
fcfreetype.c:738: for each function it appears in.)
gmake[2]: *** [fcfreetype.lo] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/x11-fonts/fontconfig/work/fontconfig-2.'
gmake[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/ports/x11-fonts/fontconfig/work/fontconfig-2.'
gmake: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
*** Error code 2

Stop in /usr/ports/x11-fonts/fontconfig.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4-libraries.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/www/links.

	The problem seems to be buried in all those X libraries links
uses.  Either that or I defined that WITHOUT_X11 variable in the wrong
way.

	What is the safest way to correct a problem like this?

	In my experience, the port installation process is very good
at figuring out what it needs to do to get a package to build but
obviously, I have the wrong version of something or there is something
wrong with the WITHOUT_X11 directive.

	This system does not have X windows on it, but it has several
XFree86 libraries due to software such as expect that needs several X
libraries.

	Many thanks for any help.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group