creating a small FreeBSD box

Dirk-Willem van Gulik dirkx at webweaving.org
Wed Nov 5 03:54:47 PST 2003

> I need to make a few FreeBSD boxes, these will all be limited in disk
> space,
> and act as firewall/router. (pentium and 300M disk)
>  What I want is a limited operating system that has only the essential
> networking stuff, shell, and a custom kernel but for example no BIND and
> CVS.

For very few boxes just making an 'ideal' machine and cloning may be
easiest.

For a few boxes - Do a man sysinstall - and see the scripting section. Or
see this example:

	http://www.horseplay.demon.co.uk/freebsd_post_sysinstall.html

for more complex setups - e.g. booting an install image off the net using
PXE boot or an etherboot floppy - see

	http://www.xs4all.nl/~scorpio/sane2002/talk.pdf
	http://www.horseplay.demon.co.uk/freebsd_pxe.html
	http://www.tnpi.biz/computing/freebsd/pxe-netboot.shtml