/usr/local/etc/rc.d

Rick Duvall rduvall at onlinehighways.net
Tue Nov 4 15:53:05 PST 2003

I am kind of curious as to if this issue has been resolved and what the
final resolution was.  I just started having the same exact issue as of
today on my little FreeBSD box at home.  I end up having to run the scripts
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d manually after bootup.  I am half tempted to just
call the scripts in /etc/rc.local to get around it.  But, it would be nice
if it would just work like normal like it is supposed to.

Sincerely,

Rick Duvall

On 5/7/03 10:56 AM, "Weldon Godfrey" <weldon at excelsus.com> wrote:

> I have a box running a version of FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE (on or before Fri Jan
> 31 11:32:06 ).
>
> For some reason, all of the scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d don't run.
>
> * No errors are being seen during boot-up
> * All the scripts end in .sh
> * All are owned by root and mode 755
> * All are Borne shell scripts, all run from root's command line (when run
> in the numeric-alpha order they appear in the directory)
> * None except one does anything with start/stop, the one that takes
> start/stop is a typical postgresql startup script.
> * No over-ride for local_startup in /etc/rc.conf.  /etc/defaults/rc.conf
> has not been messed with
> * /etc rc has not been messed with.  I even stubbed the code from rc to
> see if it would run scripts with the names listed in the directory, and it
> will
> * 1st script is A00_mysql.sh, it looks like this (would the ldconfig
> cause a problem?  I have never seen that done before):
> #!/bin/sh
>
> /sbin/ldconfig -m /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql/
>
> sleep 2
>
> /usr/local/mysql/bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &
>

> Thanks in advance for any advice or what to check into next.
>
> Weldon

Try adding this to your /etc/rc.conf file:

local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d"

Mike
--
Michael K. Smith          NoaNet
206.219.7116 (work)       206.579.8360 (cell)