securelevel problems

Wayne Pascoe freebsd-questions at penguinpowered.org
Tue Nov 4 12:25:31 PST 2003

Hi all,

I'm trying to upgrade a 4.7-RELEASE machine to 4.9. The make buildworld
has gone ok, but installworld failed.

At first, it appeared that this was because the machine was running in
securelevel 1. I had the following in /etc/rc.conf:
kern_securelevel_enable="YES"
kern_securelevel="1"

I changed that to
kern_securelevel_enable="NO"
kern_securelevel="-1"

and rebooted the machine. sysctl -a | grep secure shows
kern.securelevel: -1

however a make installworld is still failing with:

Stop in /usr/src/include.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src.

I then tried touching my kernel, which also fails, with:
# touch kernel
touch: kernel: Operation not permitted

I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to proceed as the only thing I could
think to do was to disable securelevel in /etc/rc.conf :(

does anyone know what I may have missed or how I might rectify this
issue ?

Thanks,

--
Wayne Pascoe
'tis far easier to get forgiveness than it is to