printing setup

Miguel Mendez flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org
Tue Nov 4 02:15:52 PST 2003

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 06:09:53 -0500 (EST)
andy at neu.net wrote:

Hi,

> What is the fastest and easiest way to get printing setup on 5.1
> release? I have a Brother 1440 connected to the printer port.  I want
> to be able to print from the print sever and a few other BSD machines,
> and also to setup samba to allow other machines on the local network
> to share the printer.  I tried CUPS it did not work.  I also tried
> LPRng, but had trouble getting it configured also.  I tried to
> download and compile Printtool, but that didn't work either.  Is there
> a graphical printer configuration tool for BSD?  Please cc
> me with responses.

I use a Brother 1430 in FreeBSD 5.1, and it works very well. I connected
it to the USB port and installed CUPS. Then I downloaded the
foomatic-rip script from http://www.linuxprinting.org and the HL1250 ppd
for CUPS. Works like a charm. Install the ppd file and the foomatic
stuff and then start cupds (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/cups.sh start). Point
your browser to http://localhost:631 and enter the user when prompted
(root and its password). Your files should like this:

/usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-gswrapper
/usr/local/libexec/cups/filter/foomatic-rip
/usr/local/share/cups/model/Brother-HL-1430-hl1250.ppd

Create a new printer and choose the Brother model. Should just work.
Also check www.linuxprinting.org, it has a lot of info of the matter.

Cheers,
--
	Miguel Mendez <flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org>