VPN through NAT

John Morgan Salomon john at zog.net
Mon Nov 3 05:05:25 PST 2003

It's possible, but has to do with how VPN-1 is set up.

Read up on the difference between "tunnel" vs. "transport" mode--
I suggest having a look at the Phoneboy archives
(http://www.phoneboy.com).

VPN-1 has a NAT support option, I've had it work a charm with
ipfilter/ipnat, as well as with pf on OpenBSD.  Make sure you're
permitting AH/ESP (IP types 50 and 51, I believe) and the original
IKE connectino (UDP/500).

Caveat:  double-check the above, it's been a while since I've
needed it.

Cheers,

-John