why are theynot updated WAS Re: samba 3.0, FreeBSD 5.1

SWIT mark at s-wit.net
Sat Nov 1 12:34:37 PST 2003

:

> > > Yes, but the port hasn't been updated to the release version.

newbie question.
why isn't the ports updated ? Seems alot of times the ports is outdated by a
version  or more.
I mean if everyone is always saying its in the ports should they not be
better upkeeped ?

Also why is such an old version of perl 5.003 still in the freebsd base when
5.8 is out ?

I am just curious. But for those that continually sing unix over ms praise
you think that matters like this would be looked after so
unixes would be easier for the common man/woman to use.

again I am just curious. Not looking to offend or start some bs. I like my
FreeBSD box. And the more I learn the more I like it.
However at time, too many times windows is just easier to deal with. (newbie
with a life that is).

Thanks and please don't be offened.
MdD