XFree86 4.3.0 anti-alias font problem

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Sat May 31 05:33:54 PDT 2003

Hi,

I'm on a 4.8-STABLE box with XFree86 4.3.0.  I'm going through the handbook
(http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-fonts.html)
and adding anti-aliased fonts to my system.

The problem I'm having is adding TrueType and the bitstream-vera fonts
to my fontpath via xset.

Following the handbook, I've...

* Created the directory: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
* Copied .ttf fonts from my windows partition to above directory
* run the following command: ttmkfdir > fonts.dir

I do get a message from ttmkfdir which states:
	"unknown font foundry code SYRC"

A look at the files in the directory reveals nothing remotely similar
to SYRC.  The fonts.dir file appears valid but admittedly I'm not sure
what I'm looking at.

To continue, when I run:

* xset fp+ /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType

I see:

	xset:  bad font path element (#64), possible causes are:
		Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
		Directory missing fonts.dir
		Incorrect font server address or syntax

In my case, the directory does exist and has the same permissions as
the other font directories.  The fonts.dir file does exist.  And I'm
not sure what the 3rd possible cause is.

Curiously, I get the exact same error when I try to add the
bitstream-vera fonts (added via x11-fonts/bitstream-vera port) to the
fontpath.

* xset fp+ /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/bitstream-vera/
  xset:  bad font path element (#64), possible causes are:
  Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
  Directory missing fonts.dir
  Incorrect font server address or syntax

I must be missing something here.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

--
Regards,
Doug