Having problems with fixit floppy mounting filesystems

Tom Parquette tparquet at twcny.rr.com
Thu May 29 18:30:40 PDT 2003

I was installing an additional hard disk and I believe I commented out
the wrong line in fstab or typo'ed something.  The /usr filesystem is
not mounted.  The machine will not boot to a command prompt so I can
repair it.  It complains bitterly at boot time about not finding things
in the /usr/...... directories.

I have never broken a system this badly before so this is the first time
I have had to use a fixit floppy.
If I can get the root and usr filesystems mounted r/w I should be able
to "ee" fstab and get myself going.

I can get to the fixit command prompt but when I issue mount /dev/ad0s1a
/mnt to get the root filesystem mounted all I get is "operation not
permitted".

I searched the mailing list archives and dug through the on-line
handbook and I'm not finding anything that gives me a clue what I'm
doing wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.
TIA.