floppy disk hardware failure ?

Lee Harr missive at hotmail.com
Thu May 29 17:36:15 PDT 2003

>>May 28 10:20:21 tern /kernel: fd0c: hard error reading fsbn 0 (ST0
>>40<abnrml> ST1 1<no_am> ST2 0 cyl 0 hd 0 sec 1)
>>May 28 10:20:24 tern /kernel: fd0c: hard error reading fsbn 0 (ST0
>>40<abnrml> ST1 1<no_am> ST2 0 cyl 0 hd 0 sec 1)
>>May 28 10:22:46 tern /kernel: fd0c: hard error writing fsbn 0 of 0-1 (ST0
>>40<abnrml> ST1 1<no_am> ST2 0 cyl 0 hd 0 sec 1)
>>
>>Is this a hardware problem?  I get the same thing with all disks I
>>have tried.
>>
>Yes, probably.
>
>I'm guessing it's an MS-DOS type floppy, being mounted with "mount -t
> >msdos".
>You might try the mtools, which parse the filesystem a little
>differently, but it's unlikely to matter when the very first block is
>failing.

Sorry, mine was a poorly asked question.

I never mount DOS floppies on my system, I use mtools as you suggest.

I am getting these same type messages using both mtools or even
trying to access the floppy with dd

I think I will try a different floppy drive when I have a chance to bring
the system down for a few minutes.

Thanks for your time.